My friend, Joslyn, gave me one of her butternut squash that she grew in her garden. With fall just starting, I obviously had to make some soup, which I made with my Vitamix, but if you have a blender or an immesion blender, you can use that as well!
1- 3 1/2 lb of butternut squash
Oil of chose
one small onion, cut in half
four garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 tbsp of maple syrup
1/4 tsp of nutmeg, optional
1/4 tsp of ground ginger, optional
2 tsps of cumin
3 cups of stock (more if you want it more “soupy”)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons of butter, optional
Pepitas or nuts of your choice,
fresh parsley, or some crispy sage
freshly cracked black pepper
A swirl of sour cream or yogurt.
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Slice the end off the butternut squash. With the flat surface (bulb end), stand the squash and cut lenghthwise. Spoon out the seeds and membrane. You can use this to make pepitas!
3. Transfer the squash to a baking tray cut side up, coat with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down and roast for 30 minutes.
4. After the 30 mins pass, coat the onion with oil and add cut side down to the baking sheet. Add the garlic (in a little house of tin foil) and roast for 30 mins.
5. Remove everything from the oven and let it cool (about 10 mins)
6. With a large spoon, scoop out the flesh and add to your high power blender (if you are using a immesion blender, add all to a large pot). Remove the outer layer of the onion. Add the onion, garlic, spices, the rest of the ingredients (with stock) to your blender. Blend on high until creamy. If needed add another cup of stock (or water). taste soup and add salt and pepper as needed.
7. Split the soup to 4 bowls and garnish with any of the following: Pepitas or nuts of your choice, fresh parsley, or some crispy sage, freshly cracked black pepper, a swirl of sour cream or yogurt.
If you like recipes like this, click that Follow button. To get email updates, subscribe to the blog! You can also follow on Facebook with the page “Boricua in the Midwest” and follow my Instagram @boricuainthemidwest for the blog’s posts and @lokoxmusica where you can get a snapshot of my life filled with music & food!