I needed a quick and easy side dish that I made for our Easter lunch. Since this was last minute, I just used some pantry staples. This was a great way to use some of my produce, but also was a great side that you can make in a pinch.
- 2 small shallots
- Minced garlic (1 Tablespoon) if you like garlic like me, you can use more
- Juice of half a lemon (the other half I used as garnish)
- Oil of your choosing (I used my garlic infused Olive Oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper (optional)
How to make it:
- I heat up my large cast iron skillet with a splash of my olive oil.
- As the pan heats up, chop up the shallots. I just sliced them into thin strips. They were tiny strips because I can’t find big shallots in this area. If you are from the DSM are, where do you get big shallots?!
- If you do not have some already minced garlic, minced them or get some strips like the shallots. Add both garlic and shallots to the cast iron skillet and let them hang out for about a minute
- Add 1 packet of sweet baby broccoli and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-5 mins.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon. If you want to add more zip to it you can add some lemon zest. If you do that, you either need to add more salt, pepper, garlic and shallots. If you do not, all you will taste is lemon. Sauté for at least 2 more minutes
- At this stage you can add some crushed red pepper AND/OR some Parmesan cheese. I did not add the parm, since I did not have some.
If you like recipes like this, click that Follow button. Yo get email updates, subscribe to the blog! You can also follow on Facebook with the page “Boricua in the Midwest” and follow my Instagram @lokoxmusica where you can get a snapshot of my life filled with music & food!