If we have talked chances are that I have talked about Alison Roman and my obsession with her. She’s, in Lady Gaga’s words: “amazing, incredible, groundbreaking, flawless” *insert gif of gaga*.
I love her ethos: food should be not fussy, you’re not entertaining, you’re having people over (See book: “Nothing Fancy”). Why spend so much money dining out, when you can buy most of the ingredients (or similar ingredients with some swap outs) and have a great night “Dining in”. In all, she’s awesome.
Today, I’m going to show you a riff off Alison’s Dining in #thecookie which is AMAZING on his own. But when I did it, I completely forgot to get some ingredients (mainly flour) and had to improvise. Hence MY version of salted chocolate chunk cookies.
Rest Time: 2 hours
Cook time 12-15 mins
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 2 1/4 sticks of unsalted butter; cut into pieces (the smaller, the faster it creams)
- 3/4 teaspoons of salt (I use diamonds kosher)
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of AP flour
- 1/4 cup of almond flour
- 6 ounces of chocolate chunks or chips (you want chunks in these cookies)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Raw sugar, for rolling the cookie logs
- Flaky sea salt (or kosher salt) to top the cookies
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, add the sugars, vanilla, and butter. beat the crap out of it. It should look like really thick frosting. About 5-7 mins. Scrape down the sides and beat for 1 more minute. Add the flour, beat until almost fully mixed, then add the chocolate chips. Mix just enough to blend it together.
- Prep your space for dividing the dough. You’ll need plastic wrap for this. Divide the dough into two. And them in two 2 logs. Chill for 2 hours.
- After the 2 hours, preheat the oven for 350.
- In a deep dish, add the raw sugar.
- Take the logs off, and with the beaten egg, brush the outside of the dough with eggs (it shouldn’t be goopy, just enough that the sugar actually sticks to it).
- Slice logs into 1/2 inch parts (1 inch if you want thicker cookies). Place them to the parchment paper. About 1 inch of each other. Add the flaky salt on top of the cookies. Cook for 12-15 mins. Let them cool before you eat them. Enjoy. You will have craving of these cookies for the rest of life.
If you like recipes like this, click that Follow button. To get email updates, subscribe to the blog! You can also follow on Facebook with the page “Boricua in the Midwest” and follow my Instagram @boricuainthemidwest for the blog’s posts and @lokoxmusica where you can get a snapshot of my life filled with music & food!