Easy and simple, this is the easiest recipe that I use when I want homemade bread.
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 envelope of active dry yeast
- 3 cups of AP flour (lightly packed) ; more for dusting
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour (lightly packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt (I use Diamonds)
- 1 teaspoon Olive OIl (I used Trader Joe’s Spanish Olive Oil)
- Stir yeast into water and allow yeast to blow (it will look foamy).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt by hand. Make a well in the middle and pour in the water and yeast mixture.
- Wet your hand! If not it will be a sticky mess. Mix by hand. Flour and water should come together and make a rough dough that pulls from the bowl. Add more flour if if too sticky.If it’s two dry, add a tablespoon of water.
- Once the dough comes together, let rise for 2 hours.
- Give the dough a poke, if it deflates slowly, you’re good.
- Using your hand or spatula, losen the dough toward the center on all sides. Let rise for 2 more hours. Preheat oven to 450 after the first hour (of the two).
- Sprinkle the dough with flour and fold the dough until it forms a ball. Cover and let rise for one hour. Place the Dutch oven to the oven (with the lid) and heat for 1 hour.
- Take the Dutch oven out of the oven. It will be hot. Add the dough to the Dutch oven. Cook for 30 mins with the lid. After the 30 mins, cook for 15 mins without the lid.
- Remove it from the pot, let cool. Eat warm with butter or with your favorite stew. My favorite right now is #thestew2. You can see her video here.
If you like recipes like this, click that Follow button. To get email updates, subscribe to the blog! You can also follow on Facebook with the page “Boricua in the Midwest” and follow my Instagram @boricuainthemidwest for the blog’s posts and @lokoxmusica where you can get a snapshot of my life filled with music & food!
One response to “Easy Bread Recipe”
[…] Top with olive oil, parmesan, more chili flakes if you want. Eat by itself. You can top it on some rice, or like me, eat with some homemade crusty bread! My recipe for bread is here. […]