It feels like negative 35 degrees today. I do not want to do anything, so I am going to be making my lazy arroz amarillo. This literally means yellow rice. I use my rice cooker (not the Instant Pot) for this. If you want to make it in the Instant pot that would be awesome, but my rice cooker does everything for me. I can literally set it and forget it.
In a previous post, I shared my arroz con pollo. I showed you my recipie of sofrito! In that post, I also shared other recipes that I have found online if you want to check those out.
Here are the ingredients that I used:
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- 1 Tablespoon (heaping) of sofrito
- 1/2 tablespoon of garlic
- 1 packet of sazón Goya
- 2 cups of water
- Pinch of salt
How to make it:
If you have your sofrito in a jar, you can just pop everything in the rice cooker. I store my sofrito in the freezer so I have them in silicone ice trays. So this is what i have to do. It took me less than 2 mins
- In a small pot, add the 1 tablespoon of sofrito (it will be a necessary step if you freeze yours), garlic and sazón packet. I do like doing this since it wake up all of the ingredients. My frozen tablespoon of sofrito does have some oil in it. If you don’t just add a splash of oil. I also added just a little bit of water to help it along.
- In your rice cooker, add the 2 cups of rice, your sofrito mix, 2 cups of water. Mix well so that everything is together. Set it and forget it!
Once it’s done fluff it with a fork and you have AWESOME rice with minimal work.
Even though I could live with the rice alone and be happy or with a side of beans, I had some chicken breast I needed to cook so, I made it as I was waiting for the rice.
How to make the chicken!
- 1 chicken breast
- A little sprinkle of adobo (we use it for everything)
- Freshly ground pepper
- A dash of oregano (I used mexican oregano)
- Lime (zest and juice)
How to make the chicken
- Pat the chicken breast dry and heat some Olive oil in a medium size pan (in medium to medium high). Season the chicken with adobo pepper and oregano.
- Sear the chicken breast for about 3 minutes on one side), After you sear the chicken on both sides, add some lime zest on top with half the juice of the lemon and a touch of water. Cover your pan and set a time for 10 mins.
Cook the chicken and make sure it’s 160 degrees.
Then I cut up my chicken breast after leaving it rest (which was the final 5 mins of the rice cooker)
And then had lunch!
Now, I did not have any aguacate (avocado) or amarillos (sweet plantains) as a side. I know, tragic. But this was good and filling as it was!