Have some leftover white rice? Have some leftover beans? Want to do something different with them, look no further. Make Arroz Mamposteao’!
I always joke and say that in my family, we mostly eat Rice, beans, protein. Repeat until death. And it’s not bad. Not at all. It’s a staple. And most families have staples. This is a staple in PR. Now, arroz Mamposteao’ if you do not know what it is stewed beans and rice. It is mostly done when you have leftover rice and beans and you mix it all together in a pot. Now, some people actually make rice and beans and THEN make Mamposteao, but for me… Nobody got time for that. So I use it as a leftover solution. You do you. Here’s how you make it.
Now, if you don’t want a super fancy Mamposteao’ you can literally take some oil in a pot, wait until hot and add the rice, then beans. Mix well until everything is heated and add some salt and pepper to taste.
If you want to add more flavor here’s how you can do it.
Ingredients: (Makes 2 serving)
- 2 cups of cooked white rice.
- 1 cups of cooked beans (not straight from the jar, we don’t do that)
- 1 small shallot chopped
- 1 cube (tablespoon) sofrito (you can see that recipe here
- 3 slices of chopped cooked bacon (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic (optional)
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
How to make it
- In a pot heated in medium high heat, add the sofrito cube and let it do its thing (1 minute), once it’s all good, add the shallot and let it cook (1-2 minutes)
- Add garlic and let it cook (1 minute)
- Add rice, let it absorb all that flavor (1 minute)
- Add beans, bacon (optional), a really good thing you can add is some chopped up ham cubes, that would be a great addition. Let it all hang for 5-10 minutes until you do not see any white rice. Everything should be a nice shade of pink/red.
- Garnish with parsley or basil
If you like recipes like this, click that Follow button. To get email updates, subscribe to the blog! You can also follow on Facebook with the page “Boricua in the Midwest” and follow my Instagram @lokoxmusica where you can get a snapshot of my life filled with music & food!