This is what I made for 5 de mayo. Now, I had a concert on both Sunday and Monday, so technically I made it for Monday morning. This is what I did.
Ingredients for Carnitas: (I use my instant pot or multi cooker)
- 4 lbs of pork chuck
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste (you will check it once its done as well)
- 2 big yello onions in big chunks.
- Oil (enough to cover the pot)
How to make it:
- Cut the pork, in 2 pieces, season it liberally.
- Add oil to the pan (I used peanut so that it doesn’t smoke). Heat the pan in sauté mode.
- Sear the beef when the pan is hot (about 3 mins on each side)
- Once you sear all of it, CANCEL the sauté mode (I also unplug, because I am paranoid)
- (Plug it back) Set the IP in the pressure cooker mode for 60 minutes.
- Once you quick release, take the meat out and shred. Check seasoning. You can eat it like this or you can put it in a sheet pan, and broil it on High for 5 mins. Or as crispy as you want it
Quick pickle (add to a mason jar, shake it, leave it alone)
- 1/2 cup of vinagre (you can use 1/4 cup of white vinagre and 1/4 of rice vinagre or Apple cider)
- Crushed red peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sweetener (honey, maple syrup, etc)
- Pinch of salt (I used kosher)
Chipotle sauce (add to a mason jar, shake it, leave it alone)
- 1 can of chipotle sauce
- The juice and zest of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons-1/4 cup of the juice (from the Instant Pot)
- Cumin to taste
- Salt to taste
- Add hot sauce (if you live on the edge)
Adjust seasonings to taste. Some like it spicier, some like it a bit mellow. I keep it mellow and have hot sauce out for people.
Make it into serving stations. These were my stations.
- Corn tortillas (I heated them in the oven for 10 mins in a 400 degree oven)
- Cabbage (crunch factor)
- Pickled onions
- Chipotle sauce
Make it into a bowl! Instead of corn tortillas, use some yellow rice!
If you like recipes like this, click that Follow button. To get email updates, subscribe to the blog! You can also follow on Facebook with the page “Boricua in the Midwest” and follow my Instagram @lokoxmusica where you can get a snapshot of my life filled with music & food!