I am loving lentils. They’re cheap. They are delicious, you can make so much more with them than curries or soup. You can make burgers with them, vegan tacos, dals, saladas, and even bakes. This dish can be used for a #MeatlessMonday dish. I believe you can cook lentils in the Instant Pot, but I haven’t tried yet! Shout out in the comment section if you have! Here’s my Spicy green lentils with a crispy fried egg!
Time to cook: 45 mins.
- Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cups of water or vegetable stock/broth
- 2 shallots
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon to cumin powder
- Crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 cup of green lentils
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 sazon packet
- 1/2 cup of water (for later use)
- Cut the onion and shallots to bite size pieces
- Preheat a large Dutch oven to medium high. Add some Oil (enough to coat the pan). Add the onions and shalllots. Season with Salt and Pepper. Once they start sweating, add the garlic powder
- Cook the onions for 6 to 10 minutes or until they start to get caramelized
- Add the stock/broth/water, tomatoes, cumin, a pinch (or more) of the crushed red pepper, and sazón packet. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Check for seasoning after the 20 mins.
- Add the 1/2 cup of water and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a medium to medium low and cook for 15 minutes.
- At this point, if you want to serve this with rice, you can cook the rice in a rice cooker.
- In the last 5 mins, cook a fried egg. Now, this is optional. If you want to do a poached egg, that would be great as well.