Patience and time. One of the things I do not have. Well. Even both I don’t have most of the days. BUT. I forced myself to delete everything from my calendar and actually rest (because I desperately needed it) and decided to #treatyoself and cook most of the day. What happened? This beautiful Garlic honey chicken. It took some time, but if you think about it like I did (after this episode of netflix, check X) you’ll be fine.
This chicken is super garlicky, slightly sweet, and sticky. Make it the star of the show by pairing it with rice or polenta!
Oven temp: 425 degrees
Prep: 30 mins (prepping the garlic)
- 2 heads of garlic wrapped in aluminum foil
- 6-8 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- 6 Scallions
- Salt and pepper
- Peanut Oil (or Oil of your choice)
- 1/3-1/4 cup of honey
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Whine wine vinegar or vinegar
- After the oven is preheated to 435, add the garlic (it should be wrapped in aluminum foil) and cook for 30 mins.
- Dry the chicken thighs and season with kosher salt and black pepper. Slice the scallions, separate the white and greens into two bowls. Greens will be for presentation, whites will be for cooking.
- heat a cast iron or a heavy pan in medium low. Once heated, add some oil. Add the chicken. Cook for 5 mins.
- Turn the heat up for medium high and cook for 10 minutes. flip the chicken (crispy skin side up), add the white parts of the scallions.
- At this time, put some rice into a rice cooker or make your side. If you are in a #treattyoself moment; have a glass of wine. You deserve it.
- Take the bulb of garlic out and let cook slightly. In a bowl add the roasted garlic and about 1/3 to 1/4 cup of honey. Smash the garlic and honey together. Smear half the garlic honey mixture on top of the chicken.
- Cook chicken in the 425 oven for 15 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and place chicken on a plate. We’ll be back for you chicken. Add the 3 tablespoons of butter to the pan, the rest of the garlic honey mix and a splash of vinegar. Mix well to deglaze the pan until just combined.
- Serve with your preferred side!
If you like recipes like this, click that Follow button. To get email updates, subscribe to the blog! You can also follow on Facebook with the page “Boricua in the Midwest” and follow my Instagram @boricuainthemidwest for the blog’s posts and @lokoxmusica where you can get a snapshot of my life filled with music & food!