I tried making chicharrones de pollo for the first time and I have to say they turned out awesomely. Chicharrones de pollo is essentially fried chicken. These chicharrones are baked and then flash fried to finish getting that golden yummy color. These were super easy to make.
Here’s how to make them:
- 2.5 pounds of boneless chicken thighs
- 1 heaping teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of adobo
- 1.5 teaspoons of oregano
- .5 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 packet of sazon
- 1/2 cup of flower
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Canola Oil (to fry)
How to make it.
- Preheat the oven for 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with some parchment or foil and set aside.
- Cut the chicken to bite size pieces and coat with some oil. I eye-balled it, but I would say about 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and season the chicken with the garlic powder, adobo, oregano, and pepper.
Now, you can do this two ways, you can add the sazón to the flour or to the chicken. I put it in the flour.
- In a plastic or paper bag add the flour and sazón. In batches add the seasoned chicken and coat in flor. Place in the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, turn on the Dutch oven hot and fast. You will flash fry the chicken until it finishes getting to a golden color. It took me around 3 minutes per batch. They did not taste greasy at all. You do need to keep and eye on it because since they are already cooked, you do not want to over cook it or burn them!
You can use it as an appetizer or an entree. I used it as an entree and used the Arroz con maíz as the side dish. I also had some beans left over so I pour it over the rice. This was AMAZING and reminded me of my times with my mom, especially with my Tio Efrain who passed away this last week. I loved going to his and titi Tita’s house as we spent time together with my cousins, family and listened to salsa music in the original records, which I didn’t know some of them were my mom’s!
One response to “Chicharrones de pollo”
[…] a protein side you can serve it with my chicharrones de pollo, pan fried chicken, sazon style chicken, or my garlic-pepper Iowa […]